{This is just a little "spin off" of my PoeFam blog that is a home for my domestic attempts...recipes, house stuff and more! It's named after my mom's mom, Miriam Elizabeth Davis...better known as "Gackey!" She was a lovely lady and oh so domestic. So, follow me as I try to fill her shoes...or, better yet, wear her apron!}

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I will NEVER make my kid’s birthday cakes!!!

I AM NOT…I REPEAT…AM NOT a cake decorator/baker/or anything of the like! It is SO hard to me. My cakes always stick, the icing is always too thick or too runny, and the finished product always looks like poo! Thankfully, they still taste good…and, if I’m making a cake, I know that the fact that I made it will overshadow how ugly it is.

So, for Mammer’s birthday, I made another attempt at a cake…and FAILED miserably! But, at least the strawberries were huge and pretty…and it tasted YUMMMMMMYYYY!!! And, if you’re aware of my preggo love for Strawberry Soda, you know that this was right up my alley! I Week, SOS and more 003Lowe's with M&S, 16 week belly, Mammers bday 059Strawberry Soda Cake
1 - package Strawberry Cake mix (any brand)
1 1/3 cups Strawberry Soda
(strawberry soda is substituted for the amount of water on the cake mix)
2 - 3 Eggs (if you want it lighter and fluffier use three eggs)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 – 2 lbs Fresh Strawberries (Sliced)

Add cake mix to a large mixing bowl. Add egg, oil and strawberry soda. Beat until smooth. Pour into two round cake pans that have been greased and floured. Bake as directed on cake mix or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. When cake is done remove from oven and cool in pans for 15 minutes. Then remove to a wire rack and completely cool. Frost first layer with icing and arrange sliced strawberries on top. Add the second cake layer and frost top and sides with more icing and top with more sliced strawberries. Save one whole strawberry for the middle of the cake. Gently slice and fan the whole strawberry, Place on top in the middle of the cake.

Measurements vary depending on what brand of cake mix you use. Follow the directions on the back of the box substituting strawberry soda for the amount of water listed. Also add the amount of eggs and oil stated on the mix, I use Duncan Hines.

 

***For my icing, I made a typical cream cheese kind. Cream Cheese, Powdered Sugar and Vanilla!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh yum! I love strawberry cake and this looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog fro Kara's!! LOVE it!!

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog...it is too cute!!! I plan on visiting often!!!

Erin said...

Thanks for sharing! My daughter and I made this for Valentine's day!