{This is just a little "spin off" of my PoeFam blog that is a home for my domestic attempts...recipes, house stuff and more! It's named after my mom's mom, Miriam Elizabeth Davis...better known as "Gackey!" She was a lovely lady and oh so domestic. So, follow me as I try to fill her shoes...or, better yet, wear her apron!}

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Makes Our Throats Happy

When I found this recipe, I really think that my mouth started watering. This was MY kinda recipe! …Pasta, grilled chicken, avocado pesto!… It just sounded too good for words! And, when I made it the other night, Matt said it was one of the best things I’d ever made! … WOOO HOOO! That’ll make a wife happy! {Especially after the Swedish Meatball disaster!}

After Matt went back for seconds, Quinn asked him if it made his throat happy! Love it.
And, I can guarantee that it’ll make your throat happy too! Just try it!Lunches Week 4 004
Avocado Penne Pesto with Grilled Chicken

1 medium ripe avocado
3/4 c. firmly packed basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
3 Tbsp. pine nuts
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
12 oz. penne pasta
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
Salt & Pepper, to taste (for chicken)



Cook and drain pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, season chicken with salt and pepper and place on a grill (or grill pan) over medium-high heat for 6 minutes on each side, until center is no longer pink. {You can add other spices if you want, but don't over-season your chicken.}

Peel avocado and remove pit. Put avocado, basil, salt, pepper, garlic and pine nuts in a blender or food processor. (I used my Magic Bullet!)  Turn blender on and add olive oil in a slow, steady stream. Process until mixture becomes a smooth paste. Gently fold in parmesan cheese.

Toss with cooked pasta. Slice grilled chicken breasts and lay across top of pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Lunches Week 4 006

No comments: