{This is just a little "spin off" of my PoeFam blog that is a home for my domestic attempts...recipes, house stuff and more! It's named after my mom's mom, Miriam Elizabeth Davis...better known as "Gackey!" She was a lovely lady and oh so domestic. So, follow me as I try to fill her shoes...or, better yet, wear her apron!}

Friday, January 8, 2010

Mimi's Specialty

These pictures got lost in the shuffle and I never posted one of my VERY favorite recipes. ...I'll never forget my first Poe Thanksgiving when I tried these for the first time!!! Mimi's Apricot Bars are always the most coveted item on the Thanksgiving menu. I seriously can't imagine Thanksgiving without them and Mimi always makes a TON to appease all of her fans. ...It's a tradition that will continue for always and a recipe that will ALWAYS make my mouth water!


Mimi's Famous Apricot Bars

1 box of graham crackers
(1 cup of graham crackers, finely crushed)
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup pecans, finely chopped
3/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla


Line a 13 1/2 by 8 1/2 pan with 15 squares of graham crackers. Melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in sugar, milk and egg. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is slightly thickened. (about 5 minutes.) Stir in graham cracker crumbs, coconut, pecans, apricots and vanilla. Spread over crackers in pan. Top with another layer of crackers. Glaze with powdered sugar glaze and let stand until glaze hardens. Cut into bars.
***
Apricot Bar Glaze

2 cups powered sugar, sifted
2 lemons, juiced
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Blend all together thoroughly.


No comments: