{This is just a little "spin off" of my PoeFam blog that is a home for my domestic attempts...recipes, house stuff and more! It's named after my mom's mom, Miriam Elizabeth Davis...better known as "Gackey!" She was a lovely lady and oh so domestic. So, follow me as I try to fill her shoes...or, better yet, wear her apron!}

Friday, January 8, 2010

A Tangy Secret Salsa

I've never tried making my own salsa. It always seemed like too much trouble, But, when I saw this recipe in my new Southern Living, I had to try it...and, it is GOOD! My husband, the picky salsa eater extraordinaire, even approves. He's actually requested that I make it again...for all of his football watching friends the other night! ... And, I took that as a serious compliment! :) You should try it!!! ...If the picked okra turns you off, don't let it! It just gives it a little extra something...it's YUM!
Pickled Okra Salsa
5 whole pickled okra sliced
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
4 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 (14.5 oz can) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained

Pulse first six ingredients and half of the tomatoes in a food processor 4 to 6 times or until thoroughly combined. {Stir in remaining diced tomatoes....or, pulse them all if you want a less chunky salsa!} Serve immediately or cover and chill. Store in refrigerator up to seven days. If refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

No comments: