{This is just a little "spin off" of my PoeFam blog that is a home for my domestic attempts...recipes, house stuff and more! It's named after my mom's mom, Miriam Elizabeth Davis...better known as "Gackey!" She was a lovely lady and oh so domestic. So, follow me as I try to fill her shoes...or, better yet, wear her apron!}

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Worth the Stains!

I recently found this recipe in one of the millions of city magazines that I get in the mail! Seriously, how does our community afford so many publications? ...Anyway, I made these for Remy's birthday party and they were a hit. After one of our friends took his first bite, he even said that he was going to pack up and move in! So, they MUST be good! And, it was totally worth the red stained fingers! :)

Red Velvet Cupcakes
Batter:
1 German chocolate cake mix
5 eggs
½ cup oil
1 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons red food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into 24 lined cupcake tins and bake for 19-23 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.

Frosting:
2 -8 ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
1 stick of butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine butter and cream cheese and vanilla in a bowl and beat until smooth. Slowly add sugar until all is incorporated. Frost cupcakes and garnish with a dusting of cocoa if desired.

(I added LOTS more vanilla than called for...I always do!...And, I put the frosting in a freezer baggie and cut the tip so that I could swirl on the frosting! Made me feel professional!...Ha!)


No comments: