{This is just a little "spin off" of my PoeFam blog that is a home for my domestic attempts...recipes, house stuff and more! It's named after my mom's mom, Miriam Elizabeth Davis...better known as "Gackey!" She was a lovely lady and oh so domestic. So, follow me as I try to fill her shoes...or, better yet, wear her apron!}

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Who is Jeff Davis anyway?

All I can figure is that this pie was named after Jefferson Davis...who was the President of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War. ... And, I only know that thanks to Google. ...I can't really find why or when the pie was named after him. Not that it matters, but I was curious! ...Anyway, on to the pie! It's one of my dad's favorites. A drive-up restaurant in Abilene used to make this pie and my mom & dad were huge fans as young 'ens!

Jeff Davis Pie
3 c. sugar
1 c. butter
1 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs, beaten
1 c. milk
2 unbaked pie shells (9 in.)

Cream butter and sugar. Blend in flour, salt, vanilla and beat. Add eggs and milk. Stir well. Pour into pie shells. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until firm.

2 comments:

Meredith said...

YUM!!!! This looks like a chess or butter pie-- my faves!!! I wish I had time to make this today; guess I'll have to wait until I'm back from the hospital!!! I think for me nesting = baking because that's what I've wanted to do this week!!!

molly said...

I always wondered who the heck jeff was too! hehe THat is probably my favorite pie - Glad it is making a come back!!I am so impressed you are such the cook - Gan GAn would be proud of you girls!