{This is just a little "spin off" of my PoeFam blog that is a home for my domestic attempts...recipes, house stuff and more! It's named after my mom's mom, Miriam Elizabeth Davis...better known as "Gackey!" She was a lovely lady and oh so domestic. So, follow me as I try to fill her shoes...or, better yet, wear her apron!}

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Almost From Scratch

I made this cake for Matt's 32nd birthday. It was easy but had the "from scratch" taste! I love the way the icing looks so thick and clumpy! And, it tasted good! We ate it for breakfast the next few days!

Daddy's 32nd 018

Chocolate Birthday Cake

Basic cake mix (choose buttermilk, strawberry, chocolate, whatever!)

Dark Chocolate Frosting:
18 oz. chocolate chips (I used one package of milk chocolate and the rest semi-sweet)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla (I always put more than it calls for)
A pinch of salt
flour (if necessary)

Grease two 8 inch round cake pans. Make the batter as directed in the cake mix and bake according to directions, or until toothpick comes out clean from the center. When cakes are completely cool, make frosting.

Place chips in a medium metal bowl. Bring cream just to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour over chips and add butter, vanilla and salt. Whisk until chips are melted and frosting is smooth and spreadable. Cool until barely warm before frosting the cake. Add flour (about a Tablespoon at a time) if the frosting still needs to be thickened.

Place one cake layer on a pate or cake stand. Spread with about 3/4 cups frosting. Top with second layer. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and the sides.

No comments: